- 0.1 Overview
- 0.2 History
- 0.3 Gallery
- 0.4 Health Requirements
- 0.5 How To Reach:
- 0.6 ITINERARY IN BRIEF
- 0.6.1 Day 1:- Mandi to Shangarh
- 0.6.2 Day 2:- Shangarh to Lapah Camp (9km/5 hrs)
- 0.6.3 Day 3: Lapah Camp to Sara Lake (6.5km/ 4-5hrs)
- 0.6.4 Day 4:- Sara Lake to Shumga Thach and Back to Sara Lake( 8km/ 9hrs [including return))
- 0.6.5 Day 5:- Sara Lake Camp to Nihari Road head via Lapah (12.5km/ 5hrs)
- 0.6.6 Day 6 :- Nihari to Mandi (4hrs)
- 0.7 DETAILED ITINERARY
- 0.8 THINGS TO CARRY
- 1 Download Perfect Backpack Guide
Visiting a unspoiled and unexplored place is always an exciting and adventurous thing to do, And if you are looking for such an extraordinary place then
This trek begins with Shangarh Village whose gorgeous green meadows will give you a taste of unfiltered beauty of nature. The trail across the blossoming yellow and purple bushes of pine and rhododendron forests will transfer you in a world full of picturesque views. Sleeping under the
The summit point which is marked by the shrine of Goddess Jogni or Sati is really a wonderful experience to count about. You can experience wonderful views of Peaks such as Pishu in Tirth, Gushu, Vasuki Nag, Banjar, Thachi, Mandi from the summit point all around the year. On an autumn morning, high peaks of Kinnaur and Spiti regions can also be sighted.
So if you are an enthusiastic adventure -seeker who loves to explore nature then
It is believed that Shangarh village which is a beautiful attraction of the trek was once a hunting ground due to abundance of fauna on pasture lands. This place is also known for the tower temples built 100years ago. And more interesting fact about the Shumga Trek is that, it lies within the Great Himalayan National Park since 1984 that is when it was formed.
Region : Himachal Pradesh
Duration: 6 Days
Altitude: 12,500 ft.
Trek Length: 30 kms
- If you are first time climber then, you must be determined to trek at such a high altitude. Both mental and physical health is required.
- The climber must be fit and have sufficient stamina to cover 5 km of distance in 30 minutes without a stress.
- The climber should be strong enough to carry a 10-15 kg backpack.
- Heart problem, high blood pressure, asthma, and epilepsy cannot be reconciled on this mission. The climber must not have the conditions mentioned above.
- If you have certain injuries then you must consult
doctorbefore going on trek.
How To Reach:
By Air – Bhuntar, which is 52 km away from Manali, is the nearest airport. Taxi services are available from Bhuntar to Manali, which costs about Rs. 700- Rs1000. Bhuntar is well connected to Delhi by air. From here, you can use local transport to reach Mandi
By Road – Mandi is well connected to Delhi. Take an overnight bus from Delhi to Mandi (Manali). Since Delhi Manali is a long journey most Volvo private buses leave Delhi between 5 pm and 6 pm. The last govt bus leaves at 8.30 pm from ISBT Kashmere Gate. Try reaching Manali early in the morning.
By Rail –Pathankot is the nearest railway station to Manali and from there you can take taxi to reach Mandi.
Trek Start & End Point: Shangarh – Niharni
Difficulty Level: Moderate
Cost: INR 10,000/-
ITINERARY IN BRIEF
Day 1:- Mandi to Shangarh
- Arrive Mandi early in the morning.
- Your first destination would be Shangarh village at a height of 7,200ft.
- Boarding a private vehicle, you will cross Pandoh Lake-Hanogi Temple then diversion before Aut Tunnel through Sainij will finally drop you at Shangarh.
- Appreciate beautiful scenes on the way.
- Reach Shangarh early in evening ,have dinner.
- Stay in guest house /tent.
Day 2:- Shangarh to Lapah Camp (9km/5 hrs)
- Wake up and start for a 9km trek to Lapah Camp at an altitude of 8,500ft.
- Till Lapah level walk on the well-marked trail, frequently used by villagers (6.5 km).
- Cross Barshangarh village.
- Waterfall on the way to refill water bottles.
- Trail will intermittently go through patches of difficult & strentuous climb to gain altitude .
- Camp in between mixed forest of pine and other broad-leaved trees
Day 3: Lapah Camp to Sara Lake (6.5km/ 4-5hrs)
- Get ready for a 6.5km trek to Sara lake which is at a height of 10,500ft.
- Make sure to fill your water -bottles at camp only.
- The first half of trek goes through pin, fir and spruce forest having gradual to a steep ascent.
- The second half of the trek is through rhododendron forest (Steep ascent).
- Walking along the Saradhar Ridge you will reach Sara Lake late in the noon.
- Enjoy scenic beauty of Himalyas and dark Sara Lake.
- Enjoy night camping at Sara.
Day 4:- Sara Lake to Shumga Thach and Back to Sara Lake( 8km/ 9hrs [including return))
- Today you will trek 8 km up and down from the summit.
- After Breakfast start for Shumga Summit Point at an altitude of 11,800ft.
- Following gradual ascent of 4km ,you may spot pheasants like Monal, Thragopan, Koklash.
- Enjoy panoramic view at pious Shumga Summit Point.
- Peaks of Gushu, Pishu in Tirth,
Shupakuni, Kingkullen, Snow Peak in Rakti, Vasuki Nag are visible.
- Sliding can be enjoyed while coming down in winter.
- Reach Campsite in the late evening.
Day 5:- Sara Lake Camp to Nihari Road head via Lapah (12.5km/ 5hrs)
. Today you head for return journey of 12.5km to Nihari Road .
. Descend is gradual along Saradhar Ridge till Lapah.
. Once again, enjoy panoramic views.
. Niharni is gradual descend till Baha bridge on Sainj River then a level walk till the road appears.
.First 1 km is gradual ascent and rest 1.5 km is steep ascent.
.Reach Campsite by noon.
. Accommodation in Tent/Homestay.
Day 6 :- Nihari to Mandi (4hrs)
- Wake up and get ready to travel back to Mandi (Manali).
- It will take approx 4 hrs to reach Mandi.
- Explore Manali or head towards your next destination .
1. Mandi to Shangarh
After reaching Manali, you will head for your journey from Mandi to Shangarh and the first thing that you will capture in your camera will be Pandoh Dam built in 1977 as Hydroelectric Power Station. Following the Mandi –
As you move further, you will find yourself amidst the divinely decorated Tower Temples. You will also get a chance to appreciate Chinese Construction in the form of
Early in the
2. Shangrah to Lapah Camp
Wake up next to
Walking ahead, you will cross Lapah Village. Later you will get a chance to explore
Thereafter you will witness mind-blowing view of Great Himalayan Peaks. Enjoy night camping in
3. Lapah Camp to Sara Lake
Today you will be heading for an acclimatization to kibber at an height of 24,108ft.This trail to kibber will give you the taste of thick and thorns of the upcoming trek.Enjoy beautifully blessed views along the way.
4. Sara Lake to Shumga Thach and Back to Sara Lake
Today, you will experience steep ascent to the Kanamo base camp. Crossing through green mouth -watering pea fields,rocky slopes and deserted moutain valleys, you will gain an altitude of 1,640ft .After 3-4hrs of hard trail, you will be witnessing a fairy flowerland with varieties of Brahma Kamal and other flowers around. Along the way, you will also pass through extremely fresh and refreshing two lakes. If you are a curious cat, then this trail is a gift for you as you can find number of fossils of plants and animals, discover repositories of fossils of all type. After such a long day full of adventures, you can relax at beautiful Kanamo base camp.
5. Sara Lake Camp to Nihari Road head via Lapah
Wake up to the fresh morning and set yourself for return journey to Nihari. As you retrace your steps on this longest route towards Lapah, you will relive those magical moments before taking a diversion to Nihari. Another 6km descend will take you to the Sainij River on a bridge, walk to the road head at Niharni. Saying final goodbye to Shumga Trek, you will be spending your night at Niharni.
6.Nihari to Mandi
After getting freshened up in bright morning of Nihari, travel back to Mandi via a private vehicle. You’ll reach Mandi by afternoon, subject to traffic conditions. With a big smile get ready to miss the trek. You can continue your stay in Manali by exploring its gigantic gorgeous beauty or head towards your home. Your trip ends here.
THINGS TO CARRY
1. Backpack and rain cover ( 50-60 ltr )
2. Walking Stick
3. Water Bottle
4. Head Torch
6. Camera with charged batteries
7. Important documents like adhar card etc.
1. T-shirts (full sleeves Non -cotton )
2. Fleece T-shirts
3. Fleece Jacket
4. Down feather /Hollofil jacket
5. Wind and waterproof (jacket and pant)
6. Thermal inners (upper and lower)
7. Trek pants
9. Waterproof gloves 1 pair
10. Fleece /woollen gloves
11. Scarf /muffler (optional)
1. Sunscreen cream
3. Antibacterial powder
4. Toilet paper and wipes
5. Toothbrush and toothpaste
7. Quick dry towel
1. Sun cap
2. Woollen cap
4. Sunglasses U/V protected
5. People who wear spectales -Use contact lenses .
1. Trekking shoes
2 . Floaters /flip -flops
3. Cotton socks
4. Woollen socks