Himachal Pradesh is an exquisite state in Northern India located in the Himalayan region. Shimla is its capital and the state is popularly known as ‘Dev Bhoomi’ among the locals. Dev Bhoomi translates as Land of Gods. The states inhibit hills, mountains, valleys, and beautiful rivers. Here, one can experience the tranquil beauty of nature. The landscape is scenic and breath-taking with a peaceful vibe. It is a popular tourist destination for Indians and foreigners.
The state has a strong Tibetan presence as it is home to the Tibetan Leader in-exile HH Dalai Lama. With a picturesque surrounding, this place makes the best sight-seeing spot. From adventure freaks to nature lovers, this place is a favorite vacation destination for everyone. One can indulge in adventurous sports activities like trekking, paragliding, rafting, biking, river crossing, rock climbing, etc. For nature lovers and travel freaks, this place has many historical temples, monuments, and markets.
Table of Content
Here Some Tips for Traveling
The state is situated in the midst of the mountains. To preserve the nature, the government has ordered the state to be smoke-free which means that no one can smoke on the streets. The languages that are widely spoken here are Hindi, English, Pahari, Kangri, etc. The rich culture and heritage of this state attract people from across the globe. Some of the main cities in this state are Manali, Dharamsala, Kasoli, Kasol, Bhuntar, Shimla, etc.
1) Capital – Shimla & Dharamsala
2) Population – 68,64,602
3) Official Language – Hindi
4) Best Time to Visit – March – September
How to Reach Himachal Pradesh?
This state is well connected to the rest of the world by modes of air, road and railway transport. Despite the fact that it is surrounded by huge rocky mountains, this place is easily accessible. You can choose the best suitable route according to your convenience from the options stated below.
1) By Air
There are few local airports in the state which is connected through daily flights from the international and domestic airports. Major cities of India like Delhi, Mumbai, Chandigarh, and Banglore is connected to the local airports in the region like Bhuntar airport, Jubbarhatti airport, and Gaggal airport. Due to bad weather, some flights may get delayed in monsoon season. From these airports, you can take a cab to the major cities like Shimla, Kullu, Manali, etc.
It is the most reliable way to travel to Himachal Pradesh as it is connected to many major cities through national highway. You can book a cab or drive by yourself from Delhi to Himachal Pradesh, It will be a 10-12 hour journey. There are several buses and Volvos that take passengers every day from Delhi to Shimla, Dharamsala, Manali, etc at a very nominal price. Other than Delhi, people from Kashmir, Haryana, and Chandigarh can also travel to this state by road if they do not mind a overnight ride.
There are a few railway stations spread in the plains region of the state but due to the mountainous area, there are not many railway stations near the famous tourist destinations. Kalka railway station is connected well to the other cities and many trains run on the track every day. However, you will have to take a taxi to travel further.
Major Tourist Destinations & Cities to Visit in Dev Bhoomi (Himachal Pradesh)
Major cities and its popular tourist places are listed below, select the best suitable destination as per your choice.
1) Shimla – This place has many shopping markets and you will find many good resorts and hotels near the city centre. Some popular tourist spots are Mall road, Heritage Museum, Christ Church, Kali Bari Temple, Chail Palace, Chail Sanctuary, Jakhu hill, Kamna Devi Temple, Himalayan Bird Park, Bantony Castle, Chadwick falls, Hawa Ghar, Johnnie’s Wax Museum, etc.
2) Dharamsala – This city is best for retreat programs and it is most suitable for the tourist looking for peace and spirituality. Some of the popular tourist spots are St, John church, Dal lake, Kareri lake, Kangra valley, Namgyal monastery, HH Dalai Lama Main temple, Bhagsunag waterfall, war memorial, Triund hill, Mcleod Ganj market, retreat centers, State museum, etc.
3) Manali – This is a major city in Himachal Pradesh and it has a relatively big market and tourist places. It is best for people looking to explore the culture of this state. Some of the best destinations here are Rohtang Pass, Solang valley, Hidimba Devi Temple, Manali Sanctuary, Manu temple, Tibetan Monastery, Jogini falls, Snow point, Hot water spring, Gayatri Temple, Solang ropeway and ski center, etc.
4) Dalhousie – Couples can choose this destination if they are looking for a secluded place with less people around. It is serene and peaceful and the top class resorts will make your experience more fulfiling. Khajjiar lake, Kalatop Sanctuary, Panchpulla, Chamera Dam, Dainkund peak, St, Francis Church, Shree Raghunath Mandir, etc.
5) Kasol – This place is best for perfect for people who love trekking and camping. It is surrounded by beautiful nature. Some of the must visits places in Kasol are Parvati river, Malana village, Kheer Ganga Peak, Chhalal village, Manikaran Sahib, Tosh village, etc.